Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do you have "Build" command instead of "Print"?

This is the joke we usually hear from senior architects / engineers when they first meet with Building Information Modeling (BIM).

The first time I heard it, I just thought it is just a good joke (I even stole it:).

But when I heard it a couple of more times, I noticed the important "fact" lying beneath the joke.

Changing from 2D to BIM was as drastic as having a "build" command instead of "print" for these senior architects and engineers.

No wonder why people are scared of changing:)

Is the change really that drastic?

I do not think so!

I believe it is basically going back to basics. Documenting a 3D Building in a 2D environment sounded always strange to me. Even from the very beginning...

During my architectural education, the first thing we learned was 2D CAD software which did not make any sense to me even at that time. Memorizing strange commands and shortcuts in order to present my design thoughts did not help developing my creativity at all :)

It actually reminded me my first interaction with computers.

I was 8 or 9 years old when my dad bought my first computer and it was on MSDOS. I had a instructor coming every evening teaching me some strange combination of letters to execute the simplest command. Anyway, since I was a good kid and proud of my computer I memorized all those commands but hated using computer.

Some years later, my computer was upgraded and MSDOS was no longer there. At the begining I felt clumsy since it was all new to me but I learned quick since the way it worked was logical. If I want to delete something I was dropping it to "trash bin" :) No need for complex commands. It was intuitive.


I think the same applies to BIM.

BIM softwares are much more intuitive than 2D CAD. You work with real construction elements not dummy lines and fills. These elements act virtually the same way they would act in real life.

If it can not be modeled easily, it can not be built easily too. That simple!

What else can an architect or engineer want :) ?

Diyane Koseoglu
www.bimes.com

3 comments:


  1. مكافحة النمل الابيض ببريدة
    شركة تنظيف مجالس ببريدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بعنيزة
    مكافحة النمل الابيض بعنيزة
    Cleaning company in Buraidah is the most powerful companies providing cleaning services because it offers its workers trained and have experience in this field. The company uses modern methods and methods of cleaning and uses modern cleaning and rinsing equipment such as steam cleaning and other appliances used by the company in cleaning. Cleaning the houses, villas, palaces and companies. The company uses the method of steam cleaning, which kills germs and bacteria and is an effective solution for all types of dirt and stains

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u for helping us with this post for any services click belowBIM Implementation in UK

    ReplyDelete